The town of Ivrea, mainly known for Olivetti industrial settlements, occupies a privileged place in the “Canavese” region, being it the main travelling knot for those who aim at Aosta Valley from the most important urban centres of northern Italy.
The town, whose ancient name was Eporedia, in the past had a strategic role as the last outpost before the Alps, dating its origin back to the period of the Roman colonization.
Thanks to the historical importance and to the peculiar characteristics of its environment, Ivrea and the surrounding area offer a great variety of interests, both cultural and touristic.
The town is well known in Italy and abroad for the Historical Carnival and its famous battle of the oranges that characterizes the event.
Ivrea is dominated by the Castle, built in 1358 by the will of Amedeus VI of Savoy, the Green Count, as symbol of the might of the Savoy family upon Ivrea and Canavese. Three imposing towers outline the building, erected beside the Cathedral and the Bishop’s palace.
The geographical area that surrounds Ivrea is neatly outlined by the Serra Moraine, the natural northern border of Canavese, while the western is represented by the Gran Paradiso National Park.